Accommodation for non-students: young professionals

Student accommodation room with sofa, desk and computer

Landing your first graduate job is always a big moment. It might also mean a move to a new city or moving out of student accommodation, into young professional accommodation. There are plenty of properties available in most cities aimed at recent graduates and professional home sharers. Mansion Student is here to help graduates take their next exciting step.

This guide will help you know your accommodation options as a young professional, what to keep in mind in your search and finally, how to go about viewing and moving into your professional home.

Student outside on a laptop

Why choose professional accommodation?

There are some good reasons to consider professional lets, especially if you have previously lived with students. Once you start to work, your priorities may begin to change from university. Sure, you’ll still want to socialise as a young person, but you may not be as keen on the student life. Student tenancy agreement sync with the academic year and your house may have been located near your university campus, instead of near offices or vital transport links. Many student housing options also do not offer parking.

House shares between students and non-students can complicate your council tax bills – students are exempt from paying council tax, while professionals are not. If you do choose to live with students you may be required to pay the entire council tax bill for the house, should your student housemates not contribute.

Due to the relatively high cost of city centre rentals, most early-career professionals will choose to share accommodation but with more income, come greater accommodation opportunities.

What are the options for a professional property?

Student accommodation room with sofa, desk and computerWhen you’re looking for your first professional property you will have more income which can open up your accommodation options. Depending on your salary, you may be able to afford to live alone, which can have its advantages, but many people will still prefer to share as it reduces bills, and it is more sociable. You may already have a group of friends who you want to share with.

It’s important to remember that joint and solo tenancy agreements will differ. A joint agreement will set out how rent and other bills will be shared. The responsibility for the property will be shared between each tenant. With a solo tenancy, you are solely responsible for the rent on your room and your portion of any other bills, even if you live with others. Solo tenancies are better for those looking to move in with people they don’t know or if tenants plan on moving in/out at different times. This kind of tenancy usually offers all-inclusive rent.

All-inclusive rental properties are where all bills are included in the rent. The predictability can make it easier to budget. If you’re moving in with people you don’t know well, then all-inclusive rentals can be sensible for avoiding squabbles over bills.

Group of three people two men and one focused woman on a laptop

What to look for in professional accommodation

When it comes to choosing your professional accommodation, the first thing to bear in mind is your budget. While it might be tempting to spend more of your salary on a luxurious property , it might leave you with less cash to enjoy the other aspects of life, including social events, travel, hobbies, and savings. Your rent should take up one third to half of your monthly earnings.

Will the property’s location allow you easy access to all the local amenities you need, including shops, gyms, bars, and restaurants? Consider the length of your commute; city-centre location might be preferable, alternatively, ensure there are good public transport links or car parking spaces available.

You will also need to decide if you’re opting for a furnished or unfurnished property. For your first post-university rental you may want to opt for a furnished property, particularly if you’re sharing.

Viewing a professional property

When viewing a rental property talk to the current tenants, their opinion is important, and it will give you an idea about their personalities (if you are going to share with them) and about what living there is like. Ask about noise, light pollution and other factors such as the reliability of WiFi, electricity and heating.

If you’re going to be working from home, is the room you’ll be renting adequate for your needs? It should have sufficient workspace, desk size as well as plug sockets. If you have a bike or car you will need to ensure there is adequate parking or bicycle storage.

Finally, make sure you ask your landlord what’s included in the rent (Wi-Fi, utilities, council tax), the amount of deposit required and what deposit protection is in place.

Students having a good time in a restaurant with food and drinkMoving into professional property

Good communication is essential in shared accommodation. Make sure there is a well-understood set of guidelines regarding cleaning, socialising and other routines. How will you split bills and what belongings/food products are you comfortable sharing?

How Mansion Student can help

Since 2007, Mansion Student has acquired, developed and maintained modern student accommodations throughout some of the most popular student cities in the United Kingdom. We prioritise your welfare during your stay, and will help you through every stage of the booking and tenancy period. Browse through our different student accommodation locations below:

If you are interested in staying at any of our student accommodations, arrange a viewing here to ensure you are completely happy with the property before booking.

Browse through our student offers here.

Contact Mansion Student today for more information about booking accommodation, or call us at 0800 652 7844

Frequently Asked Questions

Can professionals live with students?

Yes, professionals can live with students, but the property will no longer be exempt from council tax. For this reason, many landlords don’t allow students and professionals to share a property.

What is a professional reference for renting?

A landlord may require references for the tenancy. A professional reference refers to a reference from your employer, but references from your bank and your previous landlord may also be required.

Can couples rent professional properties?

Couples can usually rent a larger room in a shared house or can rent a one or two-bed property on their own. Some landlords may ask each individual to pay the full rent, so it’s important to check beforehand and be open about your plans.

Related content

Looking for accommodation advice?