Get in touch with us today!

0800 652 7844

Useful Information

Booking The Accommodation

It’s easy. There are 3 ways to do it:

  • Call our dedicated booking line on 0800 652 7844 to reserve your accommodation or to arrange a viewing, specifying the location.
  • Call the number of the property you wish to stay at.
  • Or if you’re passing the property, you can just pop in.

How do I cancel or re-arrange my viewing?
If you wish to cancel or re-arrange your viewing please contact the Hospitality Team at your chosen location or call our dedicated booking line on 0800 652 7844

Can I book a room without a viewing?
Yes, however, on arrival should you wish to change your room, this would be subject to an additional administration cost and availability.

Which cities are you located in?
We are spread across the UK. Visit our locations page to see our property locations.

Booking the accommodation
You can reserve your room today at one of our fabulous locations simply by going to your chosen location and selecting the “book now” button. This will then take you into our on-line booking system and a few short easy steps will enable you to reserve your room and sign your tenancy agreement on line. Please be aware that if you are using a Guarantor, the booking will not be complete until they too have signed your accommodation contract and we have sent you confirmation.

We do not treat any person or group of persons applying for accommodation less favourably because of their race, colour, ethnic or national origin, gender, disability, appearance, age, marital status, sexual orientation or social status. Where possible, a student’s preferences will be observed although this cannot be guaranteed.

Can I live with my friends?
As part of our on-line booking you can reserve a whole flat for you and your friends under our Group Booking page. Please follow the instructions when making your booking.

What is the Security Deposit?
The Security Deposit is payable as part of our process to reserve a room. Once this fee is paid, no one else can book that room, provided that you sign and return your documentation within the required timescales. Failure to do this may result in your chosen room being released for re-sale.

It is also security against any damage to the accommodation, unpaid rent or other charges. The Security Deposit is secured in our chosen government recognised scheme; the Deposit Protection Service (DPS), Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) or My Deposits (MD), until the end of your period of stay with us. The amount paid is returned to you via the DPS/TDS/MD at the end of the tenancy subject to any outstanding rent or damage charges.

The deposit schemes in place are custodial schemes which protect a tenants deposit and the scheme administrator holds your deposit until it is required to be paid back. or

Booking Fee; where this is applicable, this is not treated as a Security Deposit and is non-refundable. (Please refer to our cancellation policy).

Do you provide summer accommodation?
We do provide summer accommodation at some of our properties. Please enquire directly with your chosen location or see the website for details.

I am a part-time student – can I live in Mansion Student Accommodation?
Part-time students can live at Mansion Student providing they have student status. Part-time students may not qualify for Council Tax exemption and will therefore be liable to pay their own council tax charges. We strongly recommend that you check your position with your University or College before you make a booking with us, as you may find yourself liable to Council Tax payments if your course does not qualify you.

What is ANUK?
Mansion Student operates to conform with the ANUK National Code of Standards for Student Accommodation which is designed to regulate and bring large student landlords into line to deliver a distinct set of standards to students. Accreditation schemes are voluntary schemes that good landlords join to demonstrate that they provide good quality accommodation.

The National Code of Standards is fully supported by NUS who are a key stakeholder and have representation on the management and complaints procedures of the Code.

The Code will act as a student accommodation quality guide and it is recommended that if you have a choice, always rent from a landlord who has joined the Code.

What are the advantages of living in a building covered by the National Code of Standards?

  • Best practice in day to day management is supported and recognised;
  • Your contract is clearly written, stating what you are paying for and how much your rent is, with reasonable terms and no hidden costs; Your accommodation is fully prepared for you when you arrive to take up residence;
  • Your accommodation meets with a set of nationally recognised standards in respect of service provision, furniture and fittings;
  • All repairs and maintenance are carried out within agreed timescales
  • Your building will meet with required health and safety standards
  • If a deposit is charged, it will be lodged in an appropriate Deposit Scheme and it will be returned to you promptly at the end of the year or you will be given a clear explanation of why a deduction has been made;
  • You will be given information to explain what management routines are followed in the buildings;
  • A set and accountable procedure for dealing with any disputes or complaints will be in operation.

For more info on ANUK. Please visit

Student Allocation Policy
Student Allocation Policy for 19/20 click here

Deposit Information

What happens to my Security Deposit?
Mansion Student secures your deposit with either the Deposit Protection Service (DPS), Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) or My Deposits (MD).

You will receive an e-mail from either DPS/TDS/MD (depending on which site you have booked to reside and which scheme used) to confirm that the money has been secured with them and they will provide you with a Deposit ID and a Repayment ID this information is important and you will need it at the end of your stay. Please ensure that you keep it safe.

How is my Security Deposit returned to me?
At the end of your stay with us, you will be invited to organise a check out inspection of your flat/room with the Hospitality Team on your site. This is your opportunity to discuss with the Team any damages or other charges on your account and agree any charges if applicable. If you are unable to attend a check out inspection, you will be able to take advantage of our fast-track check out and the flat inspection will be conducted in your absence.

Mansion Student will then instruct the DPS/TDS or MD (as appropriate) to pay back the Security Deposit to you, less any agreed charges, to your nominated bank account. This is when your Deposit ID and Repayment ID will be required, (as indicated). There are four basic steps to the process, see below.

In the event that subsequent charges cannot be agreed, DPS/TDS/MD will offer an arbitration service.

  • Mansion Student will instruct the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS), My Deposits (MD) or DPS to release your deposit (subject to any outstanding rent or check out charges).
  • Mansion Student will email you within 28 days of your check out to confirm step 1 is complete and to advise of the next action you should take.
  • On receipt of our instruction, the DPS/TDS/MD will contact you promptly by email or post to advise you to log on to their website to reclaim/release your deposit.
  • You will arrange with the DPS, TDS or MD where and how you want the money to be paid. The DPS/TDS/MD state that it will take up to 10 calendar days to repay this money to you (although international bank transfers may take longer).

Deposit Protection Service (DPS), Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) or My Deposits (MD)

These are our chosen schemes to protect your Security Deposit during your stay with us. Please follow the link for more information and their terms and conditions: or

Booking Fee: If you have paid a booking fee this is non-refundable and is not treated as a security deposit by Mansion Student.
Cancellation Policy for 19/20 (bookings made after June 1st 2019) – click here

Cancellation Policy for 20/21 – click here

Property Redress Scheme
Mansion Student are proud members of the Property Redress Scheme –

Client Money Protect
Mansion Student is a member of Client Money Protect for Landlords and Tenants –
Click to view our CMP Membership Certificate

CMP Logo

Contract Information

Terms and conditions
For Terms & conditions for 19/20 click here

Can I move in before the start date?
This may be possible at some locations, but you should speak to the Hospitality Team at your chosen location in the first instance to discuss you requirements.

Can I extend my contract length?
This may be possible at some locations, but you should speak to the Hospitality Team at your chosen location in the first instance to discuss your requirements.

Can I shorten my contract length or pull out of my contract?
No, unless you are able to find a replacement tenant, as defined in the Terms and Conditions of your Accommodation Contract.

Your contract is a legally binding document and you should make sure that you read the terms, understand them and are willing to comply with them throughout your stay. Ask for help from someone more experienced if there is anything you are not sure about or contact us with any queries.

What happens to my contract if I leave University for any reason?
You must notify us immediately if your student status changes or you leave University. You will still be responsible for the rent until you or we find a replacement tenant for your Accommodation. We shall assist you in this once all our other Accommodation is taken.

Changes to tenancy
There is a charge of £75 to cancel a signed Accommodation Contract or make changes to a signed Accommodation Contract – for example changing your Guarantor details.

Cancellation Policy
Cancellation Policy for 19/20 (bookings made after June 1st 2019) click here

Cancellation Policy for 20/21 click here

These details are also contained in the contract terms and conditions

Arrears Policy
Arrears Policy click here

These details are also contained in the contract terms and conditions.

Internet Policy
Mansion Student will not permit the use of the internet for the transmission or receipt of material which is considered to be offensive, in breach of policies on equal opportunities and harassment, discrimination and bullying. Examples of such unacceptable use may include, amongst other things:

The transmission or receipt of materials which is to the possible detriment of the Company’s systems or is to the possible detriment of other users;
The transmission of text, which in the opinion of the Company, is considered abusive, insulting or offensive, harassing or of a sexual nature or other unacceptable conduct which may reflect adversely upon the user and/or the Company.

If any breach of policy is discovered Mansion Student will not hesitate to refer offenders to the police if appropriate.

If the student does not comply with this policy, or if any payment due under the Student’s contract for the Accommodation is 14 or more days overdue, Mansion Student may suspend or terminate the internet service without liability to the Student.

What is a Guarantor?
A guarantor is a person who is willing to pay your rent, if you are unable to do so.

Who can be a Guarantor?
A guarantor must be a UK resident, over the age of 25 and financially independent. They can be a family member, other relative or friend provided that they meet the above qualifying criteria.

What does a Guarantor need to do?
A guarantor will be required to sign a copy of your Offer and understand their liabilities in this regard. If you have chosen to use a guarantor, your booking with us will not be complete until they have signed the necessary documentation and we have confirmed that your booking with us is complete.

Car parking
If your location has parking facilities, then these can be booked on a first come, first served basis and will be subject to an additional agreement and charges. We recommend that you book early to avoid disappointment. Please speak directly with your Hospitality Team on site.

Can visitors park on site?
Yes. Visitors can park on site if your accommodation has a car park and subject to availability. This should be arranged in advance with your Hospitality Team.

Complaints Procedure
Complaints procedure for 19 / 20 Click Here

Accommodation Information

What is a Hospitality Team?
Every Mansion Student property has been assigned to a dedicated team of staff who are experienced and trained in the day-to-day operation and management of student accommodation. Our priority is the well-being and safety of all our student residents and this team, called our Hospitality Team, will advise students on a wide range of issues such as dealing with homesickness and flat conflicts.

The team normally consists of a Hospitality Manager, Hospitality Assistant, Facilities Assistant and a Housekeeper. Together they will look after you for the duration of your stay and will be introduced to you on your arrival at your chosen location.

Students living in the accommodation are encouraged to apply for positions of Student Wardens and the successful applicants are trained by the Hospitality teams to enable them to provide additional out of hours support to student residents.

What about safety and security?
All our locations operate secure key or fob access systems, to gain entry into the building, flats and bedrooms. All properties are equipped with CCTV monitoring equipment and some properties have gated grounds and car parks.

Can I smoke?
You are not allowed to smoke in any Mansion Student property, including your individual bed-rooms, except for designated smoking areas. Your Hospitality Team can advise you where these are at your location.

Do I need a TV License?
You will need your own TV Licence if you watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, or live on an online TV service, or if you download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer. This applies to any device, such as a TV set, laptop, desktop computer, tablet, mobile phone, games console, etc. Where a TV has been provided in the communal area of your flat, your licence for your bedroom will also cover you to watch this TV.

Do I need to pay Council Tax?
If you are a full-time student studying on a qualifying course, then you are likely to be council tax exempt for the length of your stay with us. However, we strongly recommend that you check with your University and/or local council as to the exact requirements. You will be required to provide Mansion Student with your University Student Number within a few days of your enrollment at University or College. You may also be required to provide a Council Tax Exemption Certificate.

Please see our section dedicated to Council Tax information.

Where do I do my washing?
We provide either a washer/dryer in your flat or coin-operated laundry facilities within your building.

What do I need to bring?
We have put together a list that gives you some idea of the useful and often forgotten items you may want to bring with you when moving into your new Mansion Student accommodation. Print this out and use it as a check list to help you pack!

What about Insurance – do I need any?
Mansion Student does not provide insurance for a student’s personal possessions. You should make your own arrangements to ensure that you have adequate cover for your stay as a student at our accommodation. Please don’t forget to insure high-price items such as laptops, iPads and bicycles.

Do I need to move out over the Christmas and Easter Holidays?
No. Over the holidays, you will have complete access to your room.

Can I bring a pet?
Pets of any description are not permitted within any of our properties. However, if you need to bring a guide dog, then these arrangements will need to be made with the Hospitality Team in advance.

Payments & Charges Information

Details of the dates of your payments and the amount of your payments are shown in your Offer.

Additional Fees and Charges
Utility Fee – £195.00; where this is applicable, it is a one-off advance payment towards utility charges for the year. If it is to be charged, it will show on your tenancy agreement.

Arrears Charge – £25.00; if we need to write to you if your student account falls into an unauthorised arrears position, arrears charges and interest may be applied to your account. Full details can be found in the terms and conditions and in our Arrears Policy.

Administration Fee – £25.00 If we have to arrange for work to be carried out as a result of you not complying with the terms and conditions, then we shall charge an administration fee.

Car parking – if car parking is available at your chosen location, this will be subject to an additional agreement and additional charges, specific to your chosen location.

Cheque Cancellation – A bank charge will be applied to you if we have to cancel a cheque and re-issue a payment to cover the cancellation fee.

How do I make a payment?
We will accept your rent payment in a number of ways

  • You can visit the Hospitality Office at your chosen location and make a payment using your debit or credit card
  • You can set up Direct Debit payments and this can be done as part of the on-line booking process or by downloading a direct debit form to complete. (Please note that the deadline for submitting these details for the 2019/20 academic year in time for your first rent payment is 10 days before your first payment is due.

What if I am using my Student Loan to pay my rent and I have not received by the rent due date?
If your student loan will not be paid to you in time to meet your rent payment dates, you may request to delay your rent payment. Please see the section below “Defer your Payment” for a full explanation of how you may do this.

Defer Your Payment

If you are planning to use your Student Loan to pay your rent during 2020/21 then you may wish to take advantage of Mansion Student’s deferment service.

How Does it Work?
We need to receive proof of your Student Loan payments and we will delay your rent due date until you receive your money. Simple as that!

What Do You Need To Do?
Log on to & log in to your account using the log in details provided below. You will then need to select the deferment section & you will be able to follow a step by step guide to defer your rent due dates. It is essential that you upload a copy of your student loan schedule which clearly shows the dates you are due to receive your payments, together with the page showing your name.

You only need to do this once and all 3 of your rent payments will be deferred. You can log back into your account at any time to check the status of your deferment, please bear in mind the approval process can take up to 14 days.
Username: {Email}
Password: {PinNumber}

The deadline for applying for deferment is the 20th August 2020; please ensure you submit your application for deferment before this date to ensure that it can be approved.

If you haven’t already applied for your loan, The Student Finance application process is straight forward – follow the links below for further information:

Student Finance UK:
Student Finance Wales:
Student Finance Northern Ireland:
Student Awards Agency for Scotland:

If you require any further information with regards to deferring your rent, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Cancellation Policy

Cancellation Policy for 19/20 (bookings made after June 1st 2019) click here

Cancellation Policy for 20/21 click here

Moving In Information

Can I move in without paying my first rent installment?
No. All rent and any other payments due on or before your check in date must be paid. The only time this will not apply is if you have requested and received confirmation that your request to defer your rent payment date has been approved.

We offer an online check-in service and all students who have booked with us will be notified by email when E-check-in is open.

Please note: Our check-in is not 24-hours and you should always check with your Hospitality Team prior to your arrival to ensure that you can gain access to your accommodation.

Check-in Appointments
To ensure that your check-in is quick and simple, it is advisable to contact your Hospitality Team to arrange a check-in appointment prior to your arrival.

Parking for Check-in
Where your location has a car park this will be made available for unloading your possessions; however, the length of stay may be restricted in accordance with the number of parking bays available. Your Hospitality Team will advise you.

Can I move in early?
This may be possible at some location but you should speak to the Hospitality Team at your chosen location in the first instance to discuss you requirements.

What do I need to bring with me on arrival?
Please ensure that all documentation requested by us has been fully signed and returned to us. Ensure that all payments due have been made and that you have provided a copy of your student loan schedule where applicable.

Failure to complete and return the necessary documents
or payments will inevitably cause you and others delay at Check-in.

Please see our useful check list of other things you may wish to bring with you. Checklist.

Can I move rooms?
Should you wish to move rooms you must contact the Hospitality Team. They will, wherever possible try and accommodate your requirements. If you have signed your tenancy agreement, a charge of £75.00 will apply and must be paid prior to moving rooms. Please bear in mind that not all requests can be granted.

Moving out
When it comes to the moving out dates, Mansion Student will issue you with instructions covering the procedures to follow, arranging a check out inspection and will also advise on how your security deposit will be returned to you if applicable.

Living With Us

Do I need to move out over Christmas and Easter Holidays?
No. Over the holidays you will have complete access to your room.

Can I personalise my room?
You are responsible for ensuring that you leave your room and flat in the same condition that it was given to you. You will be asked to fill in and return a ‘Check-in Inspection Record’, to record the condition of your room within 48 hours of moving in. You must ensure that any personalisation of your room does not result in any damages or you may incur repair charges. The Hospitality Team will carry out room and flat inspections at the end of your contract and we would advise you to make an appointment for inspection well in advance.

Can I keep a fridge in my room?
Fridges are not permitted in bedrooms. Arrangements are provided in the kitchen to store chilled foods. If you have a medical condition which requires you to have a fridge in your room, evidence of this must be provided for the Hospitality Manager.

Can I bring my own washing machine/tumble dryer?
No. Laundry facilities are provided at every location.

Who is responsible for cleaning my flat?
It is a student’s own responsibility to clean their room and they are jointly responsible for cleaning their flat. The stairs and hallways outside the flats (communal areas) are cleaned on a regular basis by company cleaners. Some residences can offer an additional cleaning service for an agreed fee. At the end of the tenancy flats must be returned in good condition or additional charges may be levied.

Can we have a party?
Yes, but we ask that you keep the noise to a minimum and be considerate to your neighbours.

Can I have guests to stay?
We do have restrictions and you should refer to your Accommodation Contract and Terms and Conditions.

Are there spare rooms for visitors to stay in?
No. However, the Hospitality Team will gladly assist with numbers for local hotels.

What cooking equipment is supplied?
Please click here to refer to our Mansion Student Checklist.

Is bedding supplied?
Bedding is not supplied. Please click here to refer to our Mansion Checklist.

Where can I wash my clothes and bedding?
Laundry facilities are provided at every Mansion Student Location.

Where can I collect my post?
Your post will be delivered either directly to your flat or to your nominated post box. As this differs at each location, please make yourself aware of the process on your chosen location. The Hospitality Team will usually take delivery of parcels on your behalf although Mansion Student cannot accept any responsibility for items that are lost or damaged.

Where can I smoke?
All Mansion Student Properties are No Smoking residences. Smoking areas are residence-specific, so please contact your Hospitality Team to check where you can smoke. As a general rule, there is no smoking in any shared areas, e.g. kitchen/lounges, common rooms, corridors, stairwells, lifts or office areas.

Will I be able to get online in my room?
Internet arrangements vary by residence; all residences have high-speed internet connections available.

Reporting maintenance issues
Simply log onto our portal to raise any issues that you might be having with your room, property or just things you feel need to be fixed or improved. Click here to see how you log a maintenance request.

Your personal maintenance ‘Welcome’ page allows you to view and monitor any and all faults you have reported that are still open, as well as any that have been completed in the last 30 days.

To report a new fault, you’ll want to browse the various fault categories located on the left-hand side of the screen. Click on the relevant category to view individual faults you might wish to report. Can’t find the fault you’re looking for? Select “Report Other/Misc Faults” from the menu and tell us what the problem is.

How to select a Fault to Report?
After selecting the category your fault fits into, the list will expand to show a list of specific faults which fit into that category. Browse the list, and click on the name of the fault to be taken to the relevant maintenance form.

If none of the faults listed fit in with your problem, don’t panic! Simply click on another category to browse other faults. If you still are not able to find what you need, click on “Report Other/Misc Fault” and tell us what your problem is.

How to complete an on-line Maintenance Form
Once you have selected your fault from the menu, you will be directed to a Maintenance Form. These forms come in a variety of shapes and sizes in order to request information relevant to your specific fault.

Fill in the form carefully and provide plenty of detail. The more information you give us on the fault, the easier it will be for our providers to identify the problem and the action needed.

Be sensible and clear. Try to imagine what you would need to know to fix the problem if you were the one hired to fix it. The easier it is to identify the problem, the quicker your fault will be repaired! If your fridge isn’t working, tell us what exactly is broken. “The fridge is not receiving any power” is a much more informative fault report than “The fridge is broken”.

How do I select the correct priority level?
After filling in the rest of the form, there are two additional drop-down menus for you to select before you submit the fault. The first of these is selecting the “Priority” of your fault.

“Priority” gives our staff an indication of how urgent you feel the fault is. There are three levels of priority to pick from ranging from emergency level faults which should be given attention within 24 hours to insignificant faults that can be resolved “anytime reasonable.”

Please note that the priority you set is simply to give an indication to the member of staff dealing with the fault and does not guarantee the fault will be solved within that time frame.

How do I report a maintenance fault in a common area?
The final drop-down menu allows you to select from a list of possible Common Areas. Use this menu if your fault is not located within your own bedroom and is instead located within one of the shared areas of your accommodation.

Examples of this could be if an electricity socket is broken in your Lounge or the tiles are damaged in the Kitchen. Reporting which Common Area the fault is located in will help our staff narrow down the location of the fault you are experiencing in order to solve it more efficiently.

Important: In cases where a fault is located in a Common Area, please check with other tenants who share the area with you before reporting a fault. You should submit only one fault report per fault. Try not to report the same fault multiple times from every tenant who uses the Common Area. Submitting duplicate faults from different tenants may slow down the repair process.

How do I submit my maintenance report?
Once you have finished entering the details of your fault, click the “Create” button to log your fault with our staff. You will be prompted to change any values that are invalid (such as incorrect date formats) but assuming your form is valid, you will be taken to the summary page showing that your fault has now been submitted.

Our site staff will now be able to see your submitted fault and can begin taking steps to solve the problem. You can review your submission, and then click the “Home” button to return to the Welcome page, or simply leave the maintenance system.

Can I view the progress of my maintenance fault?
Your personal Welcome page shows all faults you have submitted to our staff. After reporting a new fault, you will see it added to your list of “Outstanding Activities.” Clicking on a fault from the list will let you view the summary of the fault’s details.

You will be able to view the status of your open faults. Important statuses to be aware of are:

  • Reported. This means your fault has been sent to staff and will be reviewed and dealt with as soon as possible.
  • In Progress. This means your fault has been reviewed and sent to a provider. A provider is either a member of the in-house maintenance team or a contractor who will be responsible for repairing your fault.
  • Waiting for Approval. This means your fault has reviewed by the provider and a cost for the repair given. The provider is waiting for confirmation from the staff that the cost of the repair is correct.
  • Approved. This means the cost of your fault has been reviewed and the staff member in charge has approved your fault for repair. The provider assigned to your fault should now be ready to resolve the issue.
  • Job Finished. The provider has completed the repair of your fault and all that remains is for the appropriate staff member to check that the job is satisfactory.
  • Completed. Your fault has been fully resolved.

Contact a member of the site staff if you have any updates you would like to make to your reported fault, or if the fault has not been resolved properly even though the status has changed to “Job Finished”.

Viewing Completed Maintenance Faults
Faults which have been completed will also display on your Welcome page under the heading “Completed Activities.” A completed fault will show for 30 days.

Sending Feedback
As a resident in one of our Mansion student properties, your opinions are always important to us. When one of your faults has been resolved, we would love to hear your feedback on how the fault was handled and how we can make the process smoother in future.

On completion of your fault, you can email the Hospitality team with your feedback. We look forward to hearing from you.

Additional Help
If you are still having problems with using the system or reporting your faults, click the “Help” button in the top right area of the screen to be taken to the help page. The help page will provide you with contact e-mail addresses for help and support with using maintenance.

We also appreciate feedback on the usability of the system, and should you encounter any bugs while using the maintenance system please feel free to report those too including the steps our administrator should take to reproduce the error.

Will I be charged for Faults?
Also on the Help page, you will find a list of relevant fees and service charges for all kinds of faults and damages. This is taken straight from your tenancy agreement.

It’s important to be aware that students will not be charged for the majority of faults reported to our staff. Students will only be charged in cases where the fault is determined to have been caused directly by the actions of the tenant, either through misuse or negligence.

Wifi Information

WiFi is provided in all of our properties. Minimum base speed varies at each property. Click on Locations where you will find specific WiFi information detailed in the Features section for each property.

How much does it cost me?
The cost of WiFi is included in your rent so there is not extra charge.

Usage terms
Any tenant found to be misusing or abusing the use of Mansion Student internet / WiFi may be blocked from further usage.

Mansion Student retains the right to withdraw internet / WiFi usage at any time should it be deemed necessary.

Council Tax

What is Council Tax?
The Council Tax is set by local authorities in England, Scotland and Wales to pay for local services that they provide, such as rubbish collection, the police and the fire brigade.

As a student do I have to pay Council Tax?
Most students do not have to pay Council Tax, but some do. Therefore, it is worth taking time to check that you qualify for exemption. Guidance on whether or not you are exempt from Council Tax can be found by visiting the following link:

Please be aware that not all courses qualify for Council Tax exemption and you should check with your University or College.

Will Mansion Student charge me Council Tax?
Mansion Student will not charge Council Tax to any student who is exempt. However, if you do not qualify for exemption status, then Mansion Student will pass on the appropriate charge as raised by the council. It is very important that you check your status before you sign a Contract with us. It is your responsibility to provide us with a copy of your Council Tax Exemption Certificate.

How do I apply for a Council Tax Exemption Certificate?
Usually, the Admissions Office at your University/College/Institution will provide you with a Council Tax Exemption Certificate. Mansion Student may require a copy of this 7 days following your enrolment on your course.

What happens if my course does not qualify for Council Tax Exemption?
You will be required to pay the Council Tax charge on the property you are staying in.

I am an international student, does Council Tax affect me?
If you are in attendance at a University/College/Institution in the UK your course is classed as full-time then you are usually exempt from paying Council Tax.

However, not all courses qualify for the exemption and you should seek guidance from your University/College/Institution and refer to the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) via the following link: In some cases, where there are shorter courses for international students (Erasmus Students or Students on the Socrates Scheme) the Institution where you are studying can provide a letter of exemption which is also accepted by the Local Council. Please check with your Institution.