Guarantor & Parent Support

Student on laptop with mum and dad

How can my child/dependent book a room?

Booking with us is simple and easy.

  • Online – book their room online at any of our locations from our drop-down menu above

  • Call our lettings team on 0800 652 7844 

  • Emailing us at

  • Simply visit your chosen site and booking via the on-site Hospitality Team 

What is a guarantor?

A guarantor is a person who will take joint financial responsibility upon signing the tenancy agreement with us. As a guarantor Mansion Student will only contact you if the tenant is unable to pay rent or any other financial payments which are due.

A guarantor must be a permanent UK resident over the age of 25 and financially independent. Full time employment preferred. They must be able to provide proof of residence in the form of a council tax bill, utility bill or bank statement which is no more than three months old.

The UK includes England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. It does not include the Republic of Ireland (Southern Ireland) Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Brechou, Jethou and Lihou) and the Isle of Man.

A guarantor can be a family member, other relative or friend if they meet the above qualifying criteria. Other students are not permissible.

Student on laptop with mum and dad

What are the payment plans?

As per the terms set out in the Tenancy agreement all rent monies are due at set dates throughout the year. Mansion Student offers a range of different options:

• A single payment (Aug) or two payments (Aug and Dec) (Guarantor not required)

• Three payments to coincide with your student loan dates in September, January and Guarantor required) 

• Monthly direct debit split between 10 months (Guarantor required)  

Students will be required to set up direct debits at the time they sign their tenancy agreement.

You can apply to Mansion Student to defer the payment of your rent strictly on the proviso that you provide us with a copy of the letter from the Student Loan Company. This should clearly detail the amount of loan you will receive and the date on which you are expected to receive it. We cannot allow you to defer payment of rent without this supporting information and you will be required to make alternative arrangements to pay.

My child wishes to cancel their accommodation what is the process?

If your child wishes to cancel their accommodation, please find below our current cancellation policies. Please refer to the academic year which they are currently studying in.

Mansion Student Cancellation Policy for 23/24 
Mansion Student Cancellation Policy (Scotland) for 23/24 

Mansion Student Cancellation Policy for 24/25 

Please be aware that changes to your Tenancy Agreement once signed, are subject to a £50.00 variation of tenancy payment.

What student support do you provide?

Mansion Student accommodation redefines the student living experience. Our uniform approach to our residential accommodation ensures the safety and security of all our sites remains at the top of our priorities.

Hospitality Teams
Where possible residences have a Hospitality Team and a Hospitality Manager who has direct responsibility for day-to-day security, health & safety of residential life. Nationally our health and safety are controlled and managed by our dedicated national team based in Manchester. The team can be contacted at:

Student Wardens
Mansion Student accommodation where possible recruits and trains students who live on-site to act as wardens for the Mansion Hospitality Teams. Student Wardens can advise on safety, security and anti-social behaviour where needed and are a vital part of staff, highlighting our desire to work with our residents in ensuring a safe experience for all. Students are able to contact the Student Wardens via telephone. This information can be located on Student notice boards throughout the properties and is in the Student Welcome Pack.

We use CCTV recording and monitoring facilities to detect any security incidents. Residences have security access control systems at each location.

ANUK/Unipol National Code of Standard for Student Accommodation

Mansion Student operates to conform with the ANUK National Code of Standards for Student Accommodation, (The Code) which is designed to regulate and bring large student landlords into line to deliver a distinct set of standards to students. Accreditation schemes are voluntary schemes that good landlords join to demonstrate that they provide good quality accommodation.

Student accommodation building ernest place durhamThe National Code of Standards is fully supported by NUS who are a key stakeholder and have representation on the management and complaints procedures of the Code. Find out more HERE

For more info on ANUK/Unipol National Code of Standards for Student Accommodation, please visit the National Code website.

Preparing your child for university

Here are a few hints and tips for your child’s first few days at university and how to prepare them.

What should my child bring?

We’ve put together an Essential Student Check List to help assist your child moving to university.


  • Please encourage your child to throw themselves into Fresher’s (orientation week), attending all introductory lectures and taking part in social events will help them to settle into uni and ensure they develop good friendships from the start. Even if they do not feel like it, this is one of the best ways to get to know their flatmates, people on their course and everyone out and about on campus.

  • Do encourage them to go to the Fresher’s Fair and join societies and sports clubs. This is a fantastic opportunity for them to get to know new people and to either improve their skills or try something new. 

  • Fresher’s week is a busy time and can be very hectic, so please encourage your son/daughter to be busy but also find some time to sleep! They should also be prepared to spend some time queuing for things such as obtaining NUS card, so allow plenty of time.

  • Do be prepared for them to feel homesick, encourage them to spend more time with their flat/class mates and give this new experience a chance.

  • Please try and send messages/texts and send parcels, there’s nothing nicer than receiving something from home.

Two student sitting on the grass with another student in a wheelchair


  • We know it will be hard to leave your child at university for the first time and even though you may want to stay longer when you drop them off, we do advise parents not to stay too long. 

  • Don’t call too often, email or text instead, this hopefully will avoid them getting to upset or homesick.

  • Don’t expect or encourage them to come home too much, especially in the first term. This a vital time for them, when they will be getting to grips with their new academic life and most important to them, their new social life!

  • Above all, don’t panic! Remember your child is in safe hands.

How do I contact my child?

If you are unable to contact your child directly, and are concerned for them you can either call 0800 652 7844 in normal office hours and we’ll transfer you to the relevant site. Alternatively, the full site contact details can be found on our Contact Us page.

What is the process around deposits and payments?

If applicable all deposits are protected My Deposits (MD) and will be returned within 28 days of the Tenancy Period ending, less any charges levied for damage to the property, rent outstanding or other charges.

At the end of the tenancy and your child moves out the hospitality team will arrange a room/flat inspection. Should a student disagree with any charges, they should raise the issue in writing to the Hospitality Manager within 7 days of receiving notice of charges. In the event that an agreement cannot be reached on level of charges, MD will offer an arbitration service.

Your child’s welfare

From our experience it is evident that the majority of students settle in very quickly to communal living, however, occasionally some students may feel alone, or not know where to turn with regards to an issue with a flatmate or within their flat.

Our Hospitality Teams are trained to advise students on a wide range of issues and to provide mediation on a large manner of welfare issues that may arise. Hospitality Teams are there to listen and help whether it is dealing with homesickness to difficulty in getting on with flatmates, noise complaints or having trouble with their studies.

Although Mansion Student’s responsibilities are controlled by the signed Tenancy Agreement, we will try wherever possible to work with our students to resolve any issues as quickly and efficiently as possible. Ultimately we aim to work hard to guarantee all our residents have a great living experience.

In the unlikely event that the Hospitality Team should be unable to help a student with a particular issue, we will give advice of the most suitable person to contact for the support they may require, whether this is from another member of the Mansion Team, a Student Warden or a University Welfare Officer.

Related content

Looking for accommodation advice?