Moving into your new home

Woman holding yellow suitcase on a yellow background

When can I move into my room?

Once you have received a confirmed contract and prior to your tenancy start date; you will receive a check in email which includes a link to arrange a check in appointment, what to expect when you arrive and other useful information.

Please make sure that before you arrive your rent has been paid and is up to date in line with your Tenancy Agreement. The only time this will not apply is, if you have requested and received confirmation that your request to defer your rent in line with your student loan payment dates has been approved. (This only applies to 3 termly payments)

Please don’t forget to download the Mansion Student app from the Google Play or iOS store by searching for “mansionstudent” to manage your Tenancy and get the latest information from the site team.

I’ve booked my check in appointment, what do I need to do next?

Ahead of your arrival we’ll send you some important information, it’s vital that you review and sign the relevant documents ahead of your check in. Within this, we’ll also include your “Check in registration Form” which you should complete within a week of moving into the property.

Please ensure that your contract details are up to date. If you have changed your email address, please update your account details through via my Account/Settings.

Woman holding yellow suitcase on a yellow background

What shall I bring?

We’ve put together an essential check list to give you some idea of the useful and often forgotten items you may want to bring with you. Essential check list

If you are travelling from overseas or need to travel light to a Mansion student accommodation then we’ve partnered with Unikitout where you can order complete bedroom, kitchen and bathroom starter kits direct to your door. Quote MANSION10 for an exclusive 10% discount.

What to remember

Whilst living with us at Mansion Student we want you to have that home from home feeling, but it’s also important to remember the following:

  • Important documents – such as student finance documents, university acceptance letters, travel documents, bank details, NHS number, NI number and any emergency contact numbers you may need.

  • Bedroom kit – duvet, duvet covers, pillows, towels, desk lamps, fairy lights, and photo frames. Bathroom supplies – such as toothbrushes, towels, and toiletries

  • Kitchen equipment – cutlery, utensils, pots and pans as well as tea towels and electronic equipment

  • University supplies – stationery, laptop, chargers, notepads and a rucksack

Can I bring family & friends on my move in day?

Move in day is always busy so we ask that if family or friends are helping you to move in that they wait in the car or outside the building whilst you are collecting your keys to avoid large crowds forming in the reception area. Once you have collected your keys, they can help you move your belongings into your new home.

What will happen on my move in day?

Please arrive at your check in time which you have previously booked. You can only check in providing you have a confirmed signed contract and that your rent is up to date in line with your Contract Agreement. You will need to bring photographic ID along with you on check in day such as a passport or driving license.

We ask that you undertake a full inspection of your room upon your arrival by completing the online Check-in Registration Form which will be sent to you by email within the first week of your arrival with us.

Are visitors allowed?

Please refer to section 3.4 of your Contract Agreement for visitors being allowed to stay with you or speak to your dedicated Hospitality Team.

What happens if I have a query or a question on check in weekend?

  • During check in weekend we will be dealing with new arrivals, therefore to minimise the number of people in reception area we would appreciate it if you could contact the site by email or if an emergency call them direct. Full details are in your welcome booklet.

  • If you have a repair/fault, please log this through the Mansion Student App and click on ”My Support” icon. Repairs will be dealt with on a priority basis during this busy period.

What do I need to know about council tax?

As full-time students you are exempt from paying council tax, however it’s important that you confirm to us the name of the University you are attending together with your University Student ID number.  If you are asked to provide a council Tax certificate, please pass this to the Hospitality team to forward to the council on your behalf.

It’s important that this information is provided as soon as requested to avoid Council Tax charges being raised. For more information, check Council Tax – Student Exemptions on the Mansion Student App in the My Documents section.

Do you provide a maintenance service?

Maintenance repairs will be dealt with on a priority basis depending on the type of repair reported.  Upon arrival we will provide you with your dedicated online maintenance App where you are able to log any maintenance issues. During the course of the year we may also need access into flats/rooms to undertake statuary tests and checks to ensure that our properties are maintained and compliant with Health & Safety policies.

How can I collect my post?

General mail will be put through your letter box, large parcels and signed for letters need to be collected from Reception. The Hospitality Team will email or text you if you have a parcel waiting for you. Remember to correctly address your deliveries with your name, room number, and full address, otherwise the parcel may be rejected.

Do I need a TV licence?

You will need your own TV Licence if you watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, or live on an online TV service, or if you download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer. This applies to any device, such as a TV set, laptop, desktop computer, tablet, mobile phone, games console, etc. Visit the TV licensing website for more information.

Group of students playing games and hanging with each other

Do I need to arrange contents insurance?

Contents Insurance is provided for all our students through Endsleigh. To view details of the full cover click here. It’s important for you to check this cover to make sure that you fully understand the protection provided. You may need to extend your cover to protect all your possessions, both inside and outside of your accommodation.

Can I bring a pet with me?

Unfortunately, pets are not allowed, however if you need a guide dog or assistance pet then please contact us directly to discuss your options. Alternatively, please review our Emotional Support Animal Policy documentation.

Related content

Looking for accommodation advice?